Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound turkey sausage, casings removed
- 2 pounds dark ground turkey meat
- 2 sweet onions, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped fin
- 1 stalk celery, chopped fine
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2 (28-ounce) cans plum tomatoes with juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning or oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Add the onions, carrot, celery and garlic to the pan and cook 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently. (The onions should be translucent and vegetables should be starting to take on some color).
Deglaze the pan with the wine, increase heat to medium high and cook until the wine is almost evaporated.
Add the stock, tomato paste, tomatoes and bay leaf, along with a generous pinch of salt and a few grinding of pepper. You can crush the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon or use a knife.
Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the turkey sausage and meat, oregano and thyme and continue simmering until the sauce is thick, about 30-40 minutes more. Adjust seasonings and serve over cooked pasta.
Makes about 7 cups of sauce
Copyright 2013 by Jen Hoy