Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 cups black eyed peas, soaked for 6 hours and drained (or 2 cans of black eyed peas, drained and rinsed)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch of hot pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces turkey or tempeh bacon, chopped into ½” pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped fine
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves or 2 teaspoons fresh
- 2 ½ cups cooked long grain brown rice
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Drain peas, reserving ½ cup of the cooking liquid and discard bay leaf. If using canned peas, proceed with the recipe starting with this next step.
Heat olive oil in a skillet and brown the bacon until crisp. Lift the bacon onto a plate and set aside.
Add onions, celery, garlic and thyme to the pan, and cook 5 minutes, or until the onions are tender. Add the peas and ½ cup of cooking liquid (or 1/2 cup water and a the pinch of hot pepper if using canned beans) to the pan, along with salt and pepper to taste, and simmer 5 minutes.
Add the cooked rice and bacon to the peas, toss well and heat through.
Copyright 2009 by Jen Hoy