Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for frying the burgers
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 6 shiitake or cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 beet, peeled and grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 2 pinches of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses or raw honey (optional)
- 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats or oat bran
- 2 cups drained, cooked black, red, or white beans, or chickpeas
- 1 cup cooked brown rice, millet, or quinoa
Add the tomato paste, mustard, sea salt, cayenne, thyme and molasses, and cook two minutes more. Remove the mixture from heat and let cool for about ten minutes.
Place oats in a food processor and grind to a coarse powder.
Add the cooked vegetable mixture, beans and rice and pulse until the mixture just holds together, but still has some texture. If the mixture seems very wet, add more oats (up to ¼ cup) until the mixture binds together and can be handled. Adjust seasoning if needed.
Form the vegetable-bean mixture into 4-6 patties.
Cook the burgers over medium high heat until well-browned and crispy, about 4 minutes on each side.
Copyright 2012 by Jen Hoy