Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (about 3 cloves) garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh or 1 teaspoon dry thyme leaves
- 2 cups cooked chicken chunks (optional)
- 2 cups baby bok choy, sliced very thin
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 tablespoon scallions, chopped fine
Add the onion, leek, celery, carrots and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
Add the stock with tamari,ginger, garlic, cayenne and thyme. Bring to a boil, and then simmer 20 minutes over low flame.
Add chicken and bok choy and heat through. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with cilantro and scallions.
Copyright 2011 by Jen Hoy