Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 3 ½ cups tart cherry juice
- 3 tablespoons agar agar flakes
- ½ cup agave nectar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- ½ pint fresh raspberries plus ½ pint blackberries OR
- 2 cups pitted and chopped bing cherries
Dissolve arrowroot in the remaining 1⁄2 cup of cold juice. (The arrowroot will not dissolve in warm liquid). Add the dissolved arrowroot to the kanten, stirring constantly to prevent lumps.
Raise heat to medium and bring the mixture back to a boil, and cook about 1 minute, stirring continually. The kanten will become glossy and thicken to the consistency of gravy.
Remove from heat and add the berries. Stir gently to combine. Pour kanten into individual serving dishes, or a glass pie plate. Let the kanten set in the refrigerator for 1 hour before eating. It will keep nicely for 3-4 days.
Copyright 2009 by Jen Hoy