Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 4 large firm, tart apples such Crispin, Winesap, Granny Smith, or Jonagold
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup finely chopped, toasted pecans or walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup apple cider (or 1/2 cup water if not available)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Core apples whole or, alternatively, cut in half and remove core with a small knife.
Sprinkle with lemon juice.
Place apples in glass or other non-reactive baking dish.
Mix maple syrup or agave, raisins, nuts and spices.
Fill apples (or apple halves) with mixture.
Pour apple cider into bottom of dish and cover with a lid or foil.
Bake 25 minutes.
Remove foil, baste apples with pan juices and bake, uncovered, for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until apples are tender but not mushy.
Serve warm or room temperature.