Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 3 tablespoons finely ground brown flax seed or white chia seed
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- ¾ cup raw organic maple, cane, or palm sugar
- 2 1/3 cups organic all-purpose or pastry flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil or non-hydrogenated organic vegan margarine
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 ½ cups unblanched chopped or slivered almonds
- 1 cup dried cherries
Line a 12x 16” baking sheet with parchment paper.
Whisk together the flax seed and water until slightly fluffy, and set aside.
In a mixing bowl stir together sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in coconut oil or margarine until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Whisk together the flax mixture, almond extract and zest. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and quickly stir in the flax, taking care not to over mix. Add almonds and cherries and stir until thoroughly combined.
Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and shape it into 2 12-x 2” long logs. Transfer the logs to the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the biscotti from the oven and reduce heat to 325'. Cool the biscotti for 10 minutes.
Using a sharp serrated knife, cut each log on the diagonal into 1/2 -inch-thick slices. Place the biscotti on their sides (cut side down) on the baking sheet. Bake the biscotti 7 minutes, turn over, and bake an additional 7 minutes. Cool the biscotti completely, and store in an airtight container.
Makes about 50 biscotti.
Copyright 2010 by Jen Hoy