Okay, so this cacao almond bliss smoothie is as much a dessert as it is a mini-meal. The good news is that if you are going to eat a chocolate almond sweet creation, this is the way to go. It can even be frozen into a sorbet. This is heaven on earth for guilt-free chocolate loving bliss! I like using frozen bananas in this recipe (just peel and cut into chinks, then freeze. The banana acts like little ice cubes). I also like using homemade nut milk
. If you prefer a vanilla flavor, check out the recipe for Vanilla Nut Smoothie.
And for more information on cleansing with smoothies, check out my blog post on cleansing.
- 2 cups nut milk
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1 heaping tablespoon almond butter
- 1 ripe banana, in chunks
- 1 tablespoon raw honey or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Place all of the ingredients into a blender. Add a few ice cubes if desired. Blend everything together until smooth.
Note: Make sure you sip smoothies slowly and “chew” them so the digestive enzymes in your saliva will be activated.. You can also add a scoop of protein powder for extra nutrients: pea protein, hemp or rice protein, organic whey or soy, are all good sources.
1) Use 2 cups of coconut milk instead of the nut milk.
2) Add a teaspoon of maca powder for an extra energy boost.
Makes one generous or 2 small servings
Copyright 2012 by Jen Hoy