Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet Vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 small Japanese yams or 2 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (optional, as this is not traditional in macrobiotics)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 5 ears of fresh corn, husked
- Sea salt
- ½ cup chopped cilantro or basil, or a combination of both
Add thyme, three large pinches of sea salt, the five ears of corn, and enough water to cover the vegetables. Bring soup to a boil, cover, and simmer 6 minutes.
Remove ears of corn to a bowl and let cool until they can be handled. With a small, sharp knife, cut the kernels away from the cobs and return cobs to the soup.
Continue cooking the soup until the vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes. Remove cobs, bay leaf and thyme branches and discard.
Add 1/3 of the corn kernels to the pot and puree the soup with a vertical blender. Adjust seasoning to taste, add remaining corn, and simmer 5 minutes. When ready to serve, add chopped cilantro.
Copyright 2009 by Jen Hoy