Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 4 ounces maitake (hen of the woods) mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 pound assorted fresh mushrooms, preferably creminis mixed with at least 6 ounces shiitakes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 1 small leek, chopped
- 1 small Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock or water
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon cognac (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Sea salt
Add mushrooms to pot along with shallot, leek, onion, celery, carrot, and potato. Increase heat to medium high, and cook vegetables, stirring often, until they begin to soften, about ten minutes.
Add soaking liquid from mushrooms, stock, tamari, cognac, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
Add thyme and rosemary, and puree with vertical hand blender until smooth.
Season to taste and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
Copyright 2010 by Jen Hoy