- For the spice mix:
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- For the tacos:
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 pound shelled and deveined medium shrimp
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 2 scallions, chopped
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced into thin wedges
- Salsa cruda, salsa verde, guacamole, and shredded romaine lettuce for serving (optional, as desired)
Heat a flat-bottomed iron or heavy bottomed skillet over medium flame. Warm the tortillas about 1 minute on each side and stack on a plate. Cover the tortillas with a clean cloth towel or napkin and hold in a warm oven.
Add the olive oil to the skillet and increase flame to medium high. Sprinkle the shrimp liberally with the spice mix on both sides and place in a single layer in the pan. Cook about 2 minutes on each side, until golden, tender, and cooked through. In the last minute of cooking, stir in the garlic and chopped scallions. Remove from heat, spritz with lime, and toss in the chopped cilantro.
Assemble the tacos: place a couple of wedges of avocado in the center of a tortilla, and top with shrimp. Add desired toppings, roll, and enjoy!
Copyright 2013 by Jen Hoy