Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 2/3 cup dry white beans
- 1 small piece of kombu, about 1 inch
- 1 bay leaf
- Large pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
Change water, add kombu, bay leaf, and sea salt and cook over low heat until tender, about 1 hour.
Drain beans, reserving cooking liquid.
Heat a small pan over medium heat and sauté garlic and shallots in olive oil until soft but not browned, about 5 minutes.
Add herbs, cook one minute, and add mixture to beans in the bowl of a food processor.
Blend, adding enough cooking liquid to make a creamy paste.
Serve warm, at room temperature or cold.
Copyright 2007 by Jen Hoy