Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 1 cup black beans, and 1 cup red beans, soaked in water overnight
- 1-2” piece of kombu
- 3 ears of corn, or 1 package organic frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, cut in 1/2 “ chunks
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch dry oregano
- Sea salt
- ½ cup chopped cilantro leaves
Meanwhile, steam corn for 7 minutes and cut kernels off the cob; set aside.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic and sauté 5 minutes, until onions are translucent.
Add cumin, stir one minute, and add this mixture to the black beans, along with the bay leaf, oregano, and two pinches of salt.
Stir well, cover and cook beans an additional 30 minutes, until very tender, adding more water if the beans are drying out.
Adjust seasoning if needed, remove kombu and bay leaf, and add corn. Cook another five minutes. Stir in cilantro and serve.
Copyright 2008 by Jen Hoy