Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons olive or untoasted sesame oil
- 1 medium sweet or red onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced in ¼” thick rounds
- 1 rib of celery, chopped
- 1 heaping teaspoon mild curry powder
- 2 cups dry split yellow peas
- 1 tablespoon fresh or 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Sea salt
- 4-6 cups water or vegetable stock
Add curry powder, and stir for one minute. Add peas, thyme, bay leaf and two large pinches of salt, along with 4 cups of the water.
Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook 40 minutes, until split peas are very soft. Stir occasionally, adding more water if necessary.
Adjust seasoning if needed (cook an additional 5 minutes if you add more salt.) Remove bay leaf and serve.
Copyright 2008 by Jen Hoy