Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 leek, white and green parts, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped fine
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 small turnip or rutabaga, peeled and chopped
- 1 small pumpkin, or butternut or kabocha squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 quarts vegetable stock, or spring water
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- Sea salt
- Chopped parsley (optional)
Add potato, sweet potato, parsnip, turnip, pumpkin and bay leaf. Stir vegetables, and then add vegetable stock.
Bring to a boil, cover the pan, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
Add thyme, and sea salt to taste. Cook an additional 5 minutes.
Remove bay leaf, and puree soup with a vertical blender.
To serve: Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with a sprinkle of chopped parsley. This soup keeps well for several days.
Makes about 3 quarts, or 6 servings.
Copyright 2007 by Jen Hoy