Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 3 tablespoons olive or untoasted sesame oil
- ¼ ounce dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in 1 cup hot water
- 1 ½ pounds assorted mushrooms, creminis mixed with at least 6 ounces shiitakes, sliced
- ¼ cup shallots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- ½ cup pearled barley
- 4 cups vegetable stock or water
- 4 tablespoons tamari
- 1 branch fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Sea salt
- Chopped fresh dill for garnish
Drain soaked shiitakes, reserving liquid. Chop fine and add to pot along with sliced mushrooms, chopped vegetables and barley.
Increase heat to medium high, and cook vegetables, stirring often, until mushrooms have browned and vegetables are beginning to soften, about ten minutes.
Add soaking liquid from mushrooms, stock, tamari, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 40 minutes. Add more water or stock if the soup seems too thick. Check seasoning and add a pinch of sea salt if needed.
Remove thyme branch and bay leaf. Sprinkle with dill and serve immediately. (This soup holds well but will thicken as it sits. Simply add a bit of stock or water when reheating.)