Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1/2 ounce black trumpet mushrooms, soaked in 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in 1 cup hot water
- 1 1/2 pounds assorted fresh mushrooms, preferably creminis mixed with at least 6 ounces shiitakes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 1 small leek, chopped
- 1 small Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable stock or water
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 branch fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Sea salt
Heat oil over medium flame in a large saucepan.
Add mushrooms to pot along with chopped vegetables. Increase heat to medium high, and cook vegetables, stirring often, until they begin to soften, about ten minutes.
Add soaking liquid from mushrooms, stock, tamari, thyme, and bay leaf.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
Remove thyme branch and bay leaf, and puree with vertical hand blender until smooth.
Season to taste and simmer an additional 5 minutes.