Vegetable stock is a great staple to have on hand for soups and sauces. Many of the soup recipes on this site can be made with water, but vegetable stock enriches them. Stocks can be frozen in ice cube trays to use in sauces, and in larger containers to keep on hand for soups.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 3 medium carrots, unpeeled cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 leek, split lengthwise and cut into 2-inch lengths (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 piece of kombu, about 2 inches long
- 1 branch fresh thyme, and/or several parsley stems (optional)
- 3 quarts spring water
Combine vegetables, herbs, and water in a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Cover the pot, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook 30 minutes. Strain stock into clean containers. Cool before refrigerating or freezing.
Makes 3 quarts.
Copyright 2008 by Jen Hoy