Serve this dish with brown rice or millet.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 block extra firm tofu, cut in half lengthwise
- 4 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped fine
- 1 carrot, chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger root
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1 15-ounce can coconut milk
- Pinch of sea salt
- 4 cups steamed vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower, snow pea, baby greens, or some combination thereof
Heat 2 teaspoons of the sesame oil in a deep skillet over medium high heat. Brown tofu until crisp, about 4-5 minutes on each side.
Drain on paper towels until cool enough to handle, and cut each square into 8 triangles (cut each square into quarters, and cut each quarter in half on the diagonal). Set aside.
Wipe skillet with a paper towel, removing any remaining oil. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons sesame oil over medium heat, and add onion, carrot, ginger root and mustard seeds.
Cook 5 minutes, or until onion and carrot are soft. Add curry powder, cook 1 minute, and add coconut milk and salt. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently.
Remove from heat and blend with a vertical blender or food processor until smooth.
Return sauce to heat and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
To serve: Place a mound of steamed rice in the center of the plate. Arrange tofu triangles and vegetables around the rice. Either serve sauce on the side or spoon over the rice, tofu and vegetables.
Copyright 2009 by Jen Hoy