Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 3 cups unsweetened almond milk (preferably homemade), chilled
- 1 cup raw macadamia nuts
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg*
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup honey, agave or coconut palm syrup (or to taste)
- 2 shots (1-ounce) rum
- 2 shots (1-ounce) good brandy
- Cinnamon sticks for garnish (optional)
Pulse in the rum and brandy and divide amongst 4 glasses. Garnish with a bit more freshly grated nutmeg and a cinnamon stick if desired.
*Whole nutmeg, unlike ground and jarred nutmeg, can last for years. These wood-like seeds are about the size of large grapes, and give a very fragrant scent and taste to baked oods, puddings and hot beverages. Use a microplane grater or special nutmeg grater.
Variation: Use coconut almond milk instead of straight almond milk. Substitute the macadamia nuts with coconut cream: chill a can of coconut milk without shaking until very cold. Scoop off the thick cream at the top and reserve the “water” for another use. Or use 1 cup of raw cashews that have been soaked overnight and drained.
Copyright 2012 by Jen Hoy