Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 ¼ cups unbleached pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup dark unsulfured molasses
- 2/3 cup dark maple syrup
- ¾ cup soy or rice milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon or orange zest
- ½ cup chopped crystallized ginger (optional)
Lightly grease a 9x13” baking dish.
In a mixing bowl sift together flours, baking powder and soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
In a separate bowl blend oil, molasses, maple syrup, soy milk and zest. Make a well in dry ingredients and add the wet mixture to them. Mix quickly but gently until smooth. Do not over mix. Stir in crystallized ginger.
Pour batter into baking dish, place on the center rack of the oven, and bake 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool 20 minutes before serving.
Copyright 2009 by Jen Hoy