This cooling salad is a summer favorite. Cucumbers, tomatoes, basil, red onion and light balsamic vinaigrette make for an exceptional summer side salad that is even better served on a bed of arugula. Cucumbers are thirst quenching and anti-inflammatory; tomatoes are ultra-rich in lycopene. Basil is a potent anti-oxidant, and is believed to have anti-cancer and anti-viral properties.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 4 Kirby or 2 Persian or other seedless cucumbers, sliced in ¼” rounds
- 2 beefsteak or 3 plum tomatoes, cut into wedges
- ½ small red onion, sliced very thin
- 1 clove garlic chopped very fine
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Gently toss all ingredients together in a stainless or glass bowl. Serve immediately, or lightly chilled.